This July, M·A·C Cosmetics’ global headquarters at One SoHo Square in New York City announced that its offices have been awarded WELL Certification at the Silver level by the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI). This prestigious distinction is awarded through IWBI’s WELL Building Standard, which is the premier building standard focusing on people’s health and wellness through the buildings where they live, work and play.
One SoHo Square Floors 10-13 is the first of The Estée Lauder Companies’ office spaces to receive a WELL Certification, and is one of only 17 certified WELL projects in New York City!
Created through seven years of rigorous research and development working with leading physicians, scientists, and industry professionals, the WELL Building Standard is a performance-based certification system that combines best practices in design and construction with evidence-based scientific research. M·A·C’s One SoHo Square office earned the distinction based on seven categories of building performance — Air, Water, Light, Nourishment, Fitness, Comfort and Mind —and achieved a Silver level rating after rigorous testing on these categories, as well as passing a final evaluation.
Project features that helped M·A·C’s One SoHo Square office achieve its WELL Certified Silver rating include:
- Air: The office features low-emitting furniture
- Water: Advanced water treatment strategies for drinking fountains, sinks, and bottle filling stations
- Light: Workplace lighting is designed for high visual acuity, with an average lighting level of 300 lux
- Nourishment: Healthy snacks are available for employees
- Fitness: The Virgin Pulse program is available to all employees
- Comfort: To support acoustic comfort, open plan work areas are furnished with acoustic clouds and have carpeted floors
- Mind: Artwork throughout the office celebrates M·A·C’s inclusive and creative culture
This WELL Certification project was conducted through ELCxNYC, the company’s NYC-wide office renovation initiative. ELC’s Green Building standards served as a roadmap for the renovation.