WestRock is imagining and delivering on the promise of a sustainable future, building on its 100-year legacy to help create a more circular economy with renewable, fiber-based recyclable packaging at its core. WestRock efforts are organized around three sustainability pillars: Innovating for our Customers and their Customers, Bettering the Planet and Supporting People and Communities.
The company sets its own sustainability goals and works with customers as a trusted, expert partner to develop innovative packaging, automation and design solutions to meet their needs.
Entering 2022, WestRock took an important step in its sustainability journey by updating its goals and tying them to measurable KPIs, many of which are time-bound. This includes newly approved science-based targets for GHG emission reductions. The company has detailed each of these goals and progress toward them in an annual Sustainability Report, released last week. Some of these include:
Innovating for Our Customers and Their Customers – Sustainable Packaging
- Target: By 2025, 100% of WestRock's products will be recyclable, compostable or reusable, driving the transition to a more circular economy through cutting edge innovation.
Bettering the Planet – Carbon (GHG Emissions)
- Target: A science-based target to reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 27.5% by 2030.
- WestRock commits to reduce absolute Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions by 27.5% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.2
- WestRock commits to reduce absolute Scope 3 GHG emissions from purchased goods and services, fuel and energy activities, upstream and downstream transportation and distribution, and end of life treatment of sold products by 27.5% by 2030 from a 2019 base year.
Bettering the Planet – Sustainable Forestry
- Target: Promote sustainable forestry and seek to ensure that forests where we operate remain forest positive. We will achieve these goals through conservation initiatives that promote sound forest management by private landowners.
- Source 100% of virgin fiber from responsibly managed forests.
- Invest in the future of sustainable forestry by supporting certification of 1.5 million acres of forestland to recognized forest management standards by FY30.
- Engage with 10,000 private landowners and their stakeholders to provide education, guidance and support for sustainable management of their forestlands by FY30.
Supporting People & Communities – Safety
- Target: Strive for a 100% safe culture by driving continuous improvement to reduce risk in the workplace and by supporting our teammates’ well-being.
- Track life-changing events (LCEs) with a goal of zero.
- Focus on continual year-over-year reduction in severe injuries by tracking lost work-day rate (LWDR).
WestRock is committed to this journey and to sharing progress as the company moves from milestone to milestone. If you have questions or suggestions on the content of the report, they welcome your feedback: email@example.com.
firstname.lastname@example.orgRobby JohnsonCorporate Communications Manager470-328-6397