Airbnb released a new report and highlighted how 2021 will see a shift toward more meaningful travel as the pandemic continues to limit mass tourism and afflict the industry overall. When travel returns in 2021, it will be about connecting with loved ones through more personal trips, with mass tourism unlikely to return at any scale this year. Recently, Director of International Communications at Airbnb, Cassidy Blackwell, teamed with YourUpdateTV on a satellite media tour to discuss this trend and much more.
A video accompanying this announcement is available at: https://youtu.be/f00q-568WXw
In the report, US consumers say their near-term travel priority is to spend time with family and friends in comfortable, familiar and secure settings. Here are some additional findings from the report:
- Travel for pleasure is the out-of-home activity Americans have missed the most—over going to restaurants and bars, and attending sporting and other live events.
- A majority is ready to travel again: 54% have either already booked, are currently planning to travel, or expect to travel in 2021. This includes 57% of 18- to 29-year-olds, and 60% of 30- to 49-year-olds.
- The type of travel people have missed the most is visiting with family and friends. Business travel is the type of travel they have missed the least.
- Connecting with family and friends is also the type of travel that has grown most in importance as people look to travel after the pandemic: 41% say such travel has become “much more” important to them, almost twice the percentage who cite travel to accomplish personal goals (22%).
- Affordability is the top priority overall when it comes to choosing accommodation not just for the first trip but for future travel indefinitely (54%), beating health and safety protocols by 10 points. Nearly three in five Americans (58%) earning less than $50,000 per year say they are booked, planning or expecting to travel in 2021. Based on ongoing Airbnb guest survey data, a majority of guests—including 53% of all homes guests in 2019—tell us they choose Airbnb to save money while traveling.
- 56% of those under age 50 say they would be “much” or “somewhat more likely” to use an online platform which offers the ability to search for alternate energy and green accommodations. Only 28% of those aged 50+ say the same.
For more information on these trends and much more, visit Airbnb.com
About Cassidy Blackwell:
Cassidy Blackwell is the Director of International Communications at Airbnb. In her role she is responsible for leading the teams across EMEA, APAC, LATAM and China to drive initiatives that help to advance business objectives, policy priorities and brand reputation. In her tenure as a marketing and communications professional, Cassidy has experience in working in both tech, CPG, retail and philanthropy, with specialized experience in empowering women, people of color and other underserved communities around the world. Cassidy has been named one of Fast Company's Most Creative People in Business, Brand Innovator's 40 Under 40 and a finalist for the Sage Group's Marketers Who Matter.
YourUpdateTV is a social media video portal for organizations to share their content. It includes separate channels for Health and Wellness, Lifestyle, Media and Entertainment, Money and Finance, Social Responsibility, Sports and Technology.