BLUEPEAK OFFERS FREE AND LOW-COST INTERNET OPTIONS IN OKLAHOMA THROUGH AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY PROGRAM Eligible Oklahoma households can have some – or all – costs covered for gigabit speeds.
LAWTON, Okla. | October 31, 2022 07:00 AM Central Daylight Time
Today, Bluepeak announced its participation in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) in Oklahoma.
Why it matters: Economic uncertainty is causing more challenges for households across the country. The ACP benefit – a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program – helps to lower the cost of broadband service for eligible households in need of affordable internet service.
- The $14 billion program provides a discount of $30 to $75 per month toward broadband service for eligible households.
The big picture: Research shows that having access to high-speed internet is a challenge for many in the Sooner State. According to broadbandnow.com, Oklahoma ranks 46th in the nation based on internet coverage, speed and availability. Furthermore, a Kansas City Federal Reserve study estimated that 30 percent of Oklahomans have access to fewer than two wired internet providers.
Yes, but: Bluepeak launched service in Oklahoma this year as part of an approximate $250 million investment to bring fiber-to-the-home broadband service to communities like Enid, Stillwater, Perry, Bartlesville, Tonkawa, Clinton, Elk City, Blackwell, Shawnee, Lawton and more. Bluepeak improves the options for residents in Oklahoma by providing fast, reliable, affordable internet to communities with limited, outdated options. Bluepeak’s ACP offering makes their solution even more affordable for those eligible.
“The Affordable Connectivity Program is a natural fit with our expansion plans in Oklahoma,” said Rich Fish, CEO of Bluepeak. “We’re expanding our fiber-to-the-home internet service in Oklahoma because the communities here have waited too long for more, better options. Our customers have told us, Bluepeak has dramatically improved access wherever we’ve offered our service.”
By the numbers: The ACP benefit can be applied to any of Bluepeak’s residential internet service tiers. A household that qualifies for the $75 discount would have access to the following options:
- 1 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) for free with the ACP benefit.
- 2 Gbps for free with ACP.
- 5 Gbps for $25 per month with ACP.
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- For the $75/month discount – Service address is located on qualifying Tribal lands, AND household income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines;
- For the $30/month discount – Has an income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines;
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
- Is approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
Eligible households can enroll in ACP through a participating broadband provider or by:
1. Going to AffordableConnectivity.gov to submit an online application or print a mail-in application.
2. Contacting a participating broadband provider – like Bluepeak – and selecting a plan.
Additional information about the ACP is available at www.fcc.gov/ACP, or by calling 877-384-2575 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. EST any day of the week.
Go deeper: Oklahomans looking for more information can visit mybluepeak.com/acp. Residents and businesses interested in service availability or details on the construction process can sign up for updates by entering their service address at mybluepeak.com.
Bluepeak is building a faster, more reliable internet without the things that get in the way of great service - like red tape, hidden fees, and slow response times. Offering up to 5 gigabits of speed for residential customers and 10 gigabits for businesses, Bluepeak is a whole new ballgame - from internet to TV, to connecting every device in a home, to powering a business, Bluepeak not only provides the best fiber connections in the communities it serves, but also meets the growing needs for how its customers live.